Unable to shut down, migrate or doing pretty much any operation to a VM with error message including “operation is not allowed in the current state”?
Solution might be enabling ssh on the esxi host, login and try:
- Run the
esxtoputility using this command:
- Press c to switch to the CPU resource utilization screen.
- Press Shift+v to limit the view to virtual machines. This may make it easier to find the Leader World ID in step 6.
- Press f to display the list of fields.
- Press C (uppercase) to add the column for the Leader World ID.
- Identify the target virtual machine by its Name and Leader World ID (
- Press k.
- t the
World to killprompt, type in the Leader World ID from step 6 and press Enter.
- Wait 30 seconds and validate that the process is not longer listed.
In vSphere client, check if the machine detects it is shut down, if it doesn’t happen right click and choose shut down, hopefully this will work now.